Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Multi-Teraflops machines

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 13:17:28 -0500

From: Jim Gray <gray () MICROSOFT com>
To: "'Dave Farber'" <farber () cis upenn edu>

Dave:
 So I researched it better and here is something that can be forward:
Jim
============

IBM's Blue Pacific system at IBM's Poughkeepsie Lab in NY achieved 1.2 TF in
September on a real application http://www.llnl.gov/asci/news/demo_SST.html.
This system has 5,856 processors.
SGI comments in their press release that Blue Pacific has not yet run
LinPack.

SGI
http://www.sgi.com/newsroom/press_releases/1998/november/blue_mountain.html
announced 1.6 TF on a real benchmark (LinPack).  SGI's Blue Mountain is a
6,114 processor system.

These are both amazing numbers.
Prior to these two machines, no one had achieved a TFLOPS on a "real"
application.
Indeed the "Bell Prize" winner for 1998 is only 0.6 TFLOPS so this is a 2x
and 2.7x improvement.

I am still skeptical that we will get to 100 TF by 2004, but these sure are
good first steps!

David Farber
The Alfred Fitler Moore Professor of Telecommunication Systems
University of Pennsylvania
Home Page: http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~farber