Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: 10 cents a shot -- I [HE] was auto-outed by an IMG tag in HTML

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 11:51:23 -0500

Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 08:06:44 -0800
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker () brandenburg com>

Dave,

There is a less hostile, but rather insidious, aspect to active messages. A
friend set me a message that had a fancy java "signature".  Flashed his
picture, popped up various pieces of address information, etc.  All quite
impressive.  Much later I discovered that every time I looked at the
message, it made an Internet connection over to a server that re-supplied a
copy of the program.

It happens that I get charged for making Internet connections.  Hence the
scaling effect of having more people start using these fancy features is
non-trivial. Imagine getting charged 5-10 cents every time you look at most
messages.

d/
Dave Crocker                           +1 408 246 8253, (f) +1 408 249 6205
Brandenburg Consulting                             dcrocker () brandenburg com
675 Spruce Drive, Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA               www.brandenburg.com

See you at INET'98, Geneva 21-24, July 98   <http://www.isoc.org/inet98/>