Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: More ^ 2 on Say No to Cell Phone and Packet Mode CommunicationsTracking

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 15:41:18 -0500

[ just for the record, I was/am on the Metricom Advisory Board djf]

Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 11:58:37 -0800
From: Mike Ritter <mwritter () ricochet net>
To: farber () cis upenn edu

Dave,
 Metricom recommends that the FCC doesn't set any packet data CALEA
requirements. We have responded to the requests for comments about
packet data communication (a service which we provide) by pointing out
that any reasonable, domestic, packet data company would use the
strongest encryption facilities available and put the control in the
hands of the user.  Thus, under CALEA rules, there is no way to
intercept the unencrypted communications (the government cannot force
the company to decrypt user controlled encryption as the company isn't
able to since they don't know the passwords) and hence the government
shouldn't even bother to tap into these communications.  My guess is
that they will still want to be able to tap into international wireless
data packet communications...

You can find the exact comment by looking here:
https://gullfoss.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/ecfs/comsrch.hts
and searching by putting 97-213 in the proceedings box and Metricom in
the filed for box.
 -Mike

--
mailto://mwritter () metricom com