Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Update on Mike Nelson

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 21:15:51 -0500

From: Mike Nelson <mrn () us ibm com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Update on Mike Nelson
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 20:20:38 -0400

After more than ten years of working in government (in the Senate, at the White
House, and at the FCC), I've moved to the private sector.

On July 1, I started a new job as Program Director for Internet Technology at
IBM, reporting to John Patrick in IBM's Internet Division.  At least for the
next year or two, I'll be working out of IBM's downtown Washington, DC office.

Among other things, I'll be:

1)  Organizing IBM's involvement in the Global Internet Project , a coalition
of 13 telecom and computer companies working  to address key Internet issues
(www.gip.org).  John Patrick recently became chairman of the GIP.

2)  Advising different parts of IBM on Internet and e-commerce issues.

3)  Assisting IBM's effort to support the Internet2 project.

Although I found working for the Federal government to be incredibly rewarding
and interesting, I decided it was time to try something new.  After considering
a number of attractive offers, I chose IBM because it has the talent, the
breadth, and the quality management needed to be a major player in most aspects
of the Internet economy.  I'm particularly excited about the opportunity to
work with John Patrick and Irving Wladawsky-Berger, the head of IBM's Internet
Division.

My new coordinates:

Michael R. Nelson
Program Director, Internet Technology