Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: iana final proposal in the news

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 09:04:54 -0700

Go read the whole thing yourself. Responsible (non nuclear) comments welcome
for forwarding djf

http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,25678,00.html?st.ne.fd.gif.f

Domain name accord a step closer
By Janet Kornblum
Staff Writer, CNET NEWS.COM
August 25, 1998, 3:00 p.m. PT
The Internet community appears to be a step closer to reaching consensus on how
to run the complicated and powerful Internet domain naming system.
The Internet Assigned Names Authority (IANA) this week issued the third, and
what it hopes will be the final, draft of a proposal to establish a new
international nonprofit corporation with wide representation from all parties
interested in the domain naming system.

While not everyone  supports the proposal, Jon Postel, who runs the IANA, said
in a statement: "We have tried faithfully to serve as an 'honest broker,'
seeking to combine all this input into concepts and eventually documents that
would have the broadest possible acceptance from all parts of the Internet
community.

"We hope and believe that this third version is essentially the final version;
that it will be endorsed and supported by nearly all of those stakeholders that
are participating in this process; and that it will also protect the legitimate
interests of the millions of individuals and groups that have an interest in
the outcome of this process but have not been able to directly participate in
it," he added.

,,,,