Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: BELL ATLANTIC PLANS MEGA-UPGRADE )see my comment)

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 20:31:00 -0500

[Lets see, 1.5 Billion over 5 years is $0300 million per year. What is BA
normal yearly upgrade budget and new equipment budget? They might be
spending more on advertisement.

Dave
}

BELL ATLANTIC PLANS MEGA-UPGRADE
In anticipation of rising demand for data applications, Bell Atlantic is
upgrading its local telephone network to the tune of $1.5 billion over the
next five years.  The contractors selected for the work are Lucent
Technologies, Fujitsu Ltd., Tellabs Inc., DSC Communications and Ciena Corp.
"I would characterize this as an aggressive extension of the Bell Atlantic
network," says the president and CEO of BA's Network Group.  "The demand for
high-speed access from businesses and residents is out there." (Wall Street
Journal 31 Mar 98)