Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: on netgambling Excerpt from Forbes Sept. 8, 1997

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 14:09:29 -0400

Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 11:44:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: Chris Metcalfe <chris () media mit edu>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Excerpt from Forbes Sept. 8, 1997

Prof. Farber,

I know how you've been following the Net gambling saga.. Thought this may
be of interest to you.

-- Chris

---

A new buffalo-but who got the meat?

By William G. Flanagan and James Samuelson

....(page 151)....

Some smart folks out West are trying to figure out how to cash in on this
lucrative honeypot Congress has handed them.  Laws prohibit U.S. companies
from offering gambling over the Net, but the Coeur d'Alene tribe in Idaho
recently started a Web site (www.uslottery.com) offering scratch tickets,
blackjack and lotto games.  Payment is by credit card.

Court battles loom, but some legal experts believe the Indian Gaming
Regulatory Act offers loopholes for the 1,490-member Coeur d'Alene
tribe.  "It does appear that a tribe...can accept wagers by telephone and
computer from people with state lotteries." said I. Nelson Rose, a prof.
at Whittiner Law School in California and an expert on gambling law.

All this because Congress allegedly wanted to alleviate poverty.  Talk
about unforeseen consequences.

---

"Photons have neither morals nor visas"  --  Dave Farber 1996