Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: PGP "Everything the FBI ever dreamed of"

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 05:18:18 -0400

Date: Mon, 06 Oct 1997 23:05:20 -0700
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Steve Caine <shc () cfg com>
Subject: Re: IP: Re: PGP "Everything the FBI ever dreamed of"

Date: Sun, 05 Oct 1997 19:10:27 -0700
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Rob Glaser <robg () real com>
Subject: Re: IP: PGP "Everything the FBI ever dreamed of"

[...]

Having said that, imagine if Congress were about to pass a law that said
that every time a company implemented a physical key system it needed to
give a master key to the FBI (or to the local police department).  The
public would be  appropriately outraged.

[...]

Dave,

I agree with all of this and I am strongly opposed to any mandatory
key escrowing system.  However, many people seem to use the above
physical key analogy but no one (that I've heard) has mentioned the
"notorious" Knox Box.

As you know, CFG tries to keep a very secure perimeter.  Even our
landlord (by terms of the lease) does not have a key to our area.  However,
every business in Pasadena must have a Knox Box on the outside of the
building & that must contain master keys to all areas of the building.
I've never been able to get a definitive answer from the city as to who
has keys to all the Knox Boxes, but I've been told by people I know
in the Fire Department that at least all Captains & Battalion Chiefs
have them.

I don't know if it's law or insurance requirements, but I don't have
a choice in this.  We have an intruder alarm, so there's at least a
chance we would know if someone used the keys.

In fact, I once visited a COMINT secured site of a well-known company,
and there was a Knox Box next to the "people sieve".  Of course, there
was a full-time guard stationed where he could see it :-).

Of course, none of us (yet) have to give anyone keys/combinations to the
safes *inside* or offices, but ...

Steve.

--
Steve Caine  :: shc () cfg com  :: http://www.cfg.com/
Caine, Farber & Gordon, Inc. :: Pasadena, CA, USA

"Photons have neither morals or visas"  --  Dave Farber 1996