Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Magaziner delivers a Victory for the Internet For IP

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 13:52:13 -0500

Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 12:12:51 -0500 (EST)
From: Gordon Cook <cook () netaxs com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Magaziner delivers a Victory for the Internet=A0 For IP please.

We won.

We followed up last night's post with a phone call to Ira Magaziner's
office.=A0 He returned the call about 90 minutes ago.=A0 We stated our=
 concern
about the allegations that the Interagency Working Group would be
announcing policy tomorrow, and that according to Dave Crocker's
conversations yesterday with Chuck Gnomes, NSI's front line manager for
DNS, IANA would very soon be asking for the inclusion of the seven CORE
gTLDs in the root servers. That according to Crocker "there is nothing
unknown about the request that will be issued, except for the precise date
and we know that date is approaching quickly."=A0 We restated our concern
about the harm that would come from such a disruption of the status quo
adding that people who knew the Internet far better than Brian Kahin and
Becky Burr and Mike Nelson were convinced that there was no crisis of any
immediate nature that demanded any immediate action on the part the
Clinton Administration to disrupt the status quo which we understood to be
that the National Science Foundation had, with the full approval, of the
Inter-Agency Working Group last summer instructed Network Solutions *NOT*
to add any new gTLDs to the root servers .

On record, Mr. Magaziner said that there are lots of discussions going on
among lots people both inside and outside of government.=A0 There is a lot
more discussion and consultation that has to take place before any
decisions are made about what the government should or shouldn't do and
that there is nothing on the immediate horizon that will in any way change
the status quo.=A0 Moreover these discussions are going to need to ripen and
take place over the next weeks and perhaps even months before any
decisions are made disturb the current situation.

From Magaziner's statement we can assume that - other press rumors to the
contrary - neither Kahin, nor Burr, nor Nelson, nor NTIA, nor DOC will
have any new policy to announce on behalf of the Clinton Administration
any time soon.

The COOK Report on Internet=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 For=
 subsc. pricing & more than
431 Greenway Ave, Ewing, NJ 08618 USA=A0=A0=A0=A0 ten megabytes of free=
 material
(609) 882-2572 (phone & fax)=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 visit=A0=
=A0 http://cookreport.com/
Internet: cook () cookreport com=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 New=
 Special Report: Internet
Governance at the Crossroads ($175)=A0 http://cookreport.com/inetgov.shtml

"Photons have neither morals nor visas"  --  Dave Farber 1994