Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Deep Blue/Please put this out.

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 18:53:03 -0400

Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 19:46:53 -0700
From: Ed Britt <edbritt () atcon com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu

There will never be a computer World Chess Champion.
Let me explain:
The World Champ will always be a human, as is right.
We have never made a motorcycle the worlds fastest
runner, even though motorcycles are faster than humans.
There are certain things we must do to remain human.
The same logic that says a computer can be World
Chess Champ, is the logic that would say a wrecking
ball should be heavy wieght boxing champ.
It just does not make sence, and shows a lack
of understanding of what the Chess Crown means.
It can only be worn by a human.
Gary Kasporov is only letting IBM test its program,
Deep Blue, against him. That is all.
A human will always be World Chess Champ.
All computers can win is Computer Chess Championships.
Time this misunderstanding was cleared up.
Ed Britt/President of the Jousting Knights Chess Club.//

David Farber wrote:

   DEEP BLUE

     NEW YORK (AP) - IBM's Deep Blue supercomputer is now the best
  chess player in the worlt, 0nner. Kasparov got wiped off the
  board."