Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Problems with SAFE and ProCODE -- the man has a point

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 01:04:21 -0400

Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 22:12:54 -0400

To: farber () cis upenn edu

From: Jock Gill <<jgill () penfield-gill com>

Subject: Re: IP: Problems with SAFE and ProCODE

Dave,

As a tax payer, I would demand that the US Government require that its
employees, paid with our tax dollars, used a US Government approved key
escrow/recovery solution.  There is not only a law about records
management and their recovery, but ask investigative reporters about the
problem if US Government workers could encrypt their public documents and
forever hide them away.  It would be a disaster for a democratic process
accountable to the citizens.

As for the rest of us, there should be no limits on what we do or do not
use.

Businesses, of course, will insist on key recover to protect them from
liability and to prove their intellectual property assertions against
false claims etc.

This issue has no yes/no binary solution.  As Oscar Wilde wrote, the
truth is rarely simple and never pure.