Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: The Patent Angle

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 19:20:51 -0400

From: dwiner () well com (DaveNet email)
Subject: The Patent Angle

---------------------------------------
Amusing Rants from Dave Winer's Desktop
Released on 4/7/97; 1:28:45 PM PST
---------------------------------------

  If you're a reporter digging into the WebTV/Microsoft story,
  there's an interesting angle being uncovered. We have a report from
  an unnamed industry insider, with links to IBM's very useful patent
  website at:

  <http://www.scripting.com/davenet/stories/webTvPatents.html>

  Two patents owned by Microsoft, two owned by WebTV, that seem, to
  some, to close it up for the set-top box market. With WebTV's recent
  embracing of Java (link on the Scripting News page), the network
  computer spec, along with patent protection, seems to be in
  Microsoft's hands.

  My guest commentator says "I really thought Adobe was going to be the
  company that eventually dictated how computers and TV would achieve
  high-fidelity screen imaging. I was totally wrong. Game over,
  Microsoft got there first (via WebTV). And I thought Intel would have
  the inside track on the hardware for these very, very thin client
  boxes. Bill's management braintrust is working overtime, most
  impressive."

  Another writer suggests that Larry Ellison get serious, and buy OS-9
  instead of the Macintosh OS.

  Lots of questions and speculation on "Mail Starting 4/6/97". If you
  have answers, please send email to dwiner () well com.

  Still diggin!

  Dave Winer

Tune in here: <http://www.scripting.com/>