Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: a serious misunderstanding

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 09:51:04 -0400

Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 09:44:35 -0400
From: jpolly () nysernet org (Jean Armour Polly)

Dave, there is such a thing as Information attention deficit. Vannevar Bush
lamented this fact over 50 years ago in his landmark piece As We May Think
(which is up on the net in html, as reported in IP a year ago).
Anyway, Bush said that in a world of myriad reports, studies, journals,
newspapers, etc, how could "men of science" synthesize all this information
into knowledge and wisdom? He posited the idea of the Memex, the precursor
to hypertext.
How far haven't we come? Take a look at the talk I've been giving this year
"As We May Link." It's up in PDF at the very bottom of my home page at
www.well.com/user/polly
What we need is better finding tools, intelligent agents, filters and more
intuitive design. Oh, and authoritative resources. :-)