Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: a serious misunderstanding

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 1995 20:27:01 -0400

I am surprised at Simon if this is an accurate quote. We
live in a world with excess infomation -- TV, newspapers,
radio, people, organizations etc. We have learned (at least
the successful people) to manage and extract value out of
this sea. It will be the same for the Internet. We are
learning to extract value. Maybe it will be a handicap to
some and they will go the way of the scribes and the buggy
whip makers

Dave

Net Is A Wonderful Information Tool - With Serious Limitations
Freedom and abundance of information on the Internet can be a
handicap, according to Nobel Laureate economist Herbert Simon.
"What information consumes is rather obvious - it consumes the
attention of its recipients. Hence a wealth of information
creates a poverty of attention," he said. Paradoxically, one of
the Internet's biggest strengths creates one of its biggest
problems. (Sydney Morning Herald; September 26, 1995)