Interesting People mailing list archives

HP surfs

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 00:05:10 -0500

THE FUTURE INFORMATION UTILITY
The chairman of Hewlett-Packard sees its future niche in the information
utility business:  "We describe the future in terms of an information
utility and information appliances plugging into that utility.  We like the
word utility because it conjures up in most peoples' minds something that's
ubiquitous, like electricity or telephones.  We believe that in the next
three to five years, the information utility is going to become as
ubiquitous as the electric utility.  HP is going to help those people
building the information utility, which will be loaded with computers and
network management...  Our component business will supply a lot of the
products to make these high-speed networks a reality."  (Information Week
3/20/95 p.50)