Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: more on Times and Rimm

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 1995 15:54:38 -0400

Date: Fri, 07 Jul 1995 11:18:41 -0500 (CDT)
From: hoffman () colette ogsm vanderbilt edu (Donna Hoffman)
To: farber () central cis upenn edu (David Farber)

Note that his advisor Sirbu doesn't put his name on the "rebuttal."  I've
heard that the CS department wanted to issue a statement saying it had
nothing to do with it but that the department head refused, worrying it
would look bad.

I've also heard that one of the advisors hasn't even seen the article and
hasn't been involved with the project for over 6 months.

One of the "contributors" wrote a scathing critique (Sigel), and another who
was acknowledged not only never saw the study but refused to make comments.

I've also heard the social science faculty are upset that the EE faculty
won't just stand up and say this thing is a fraud and unethical.

But the CMU ADMINISTRATION is sending out press releases congratulating
themselves for being on the cover of TIME and Nightline, so there you have
it.

Meanwhile, the Net community manages to stay informed about the debate, with
posts as they occur, at

http://www2000.ogsm.vanderbilt.edu/cyberporn.debate.cgi

DLH