Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: bad memory IP post

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 1995 11:16:41 -0500

Date: Mon, 9 Jan 1995 08:52:17 -0500
From: Charles Brownstein <cbrownst () CNRI Reston VA US>

My take is that the Internet came of age and (is dragging) everything with
it. For example:

1) Internet ran over the opposition of GSA and technophobes on the Hill when it:

- took off in the press (eg., became real to non techies such as members
and most constituents)

-  Executive branch use got a push from the National Performance Review,
(embarrassing eh Legislative Branch

- The National Library of Congress (which services this activity) gained
the experience and confidence to buy into the Internet

2) there was sharp bias against the Internet by the OSI promoters at NIST
that was finally beat down by the Federal Networking Council and ARPA/NSF
persistence

All of the above got momentum due to a) HPCC- Internet technology emerged
with benifits of virtually guranteed service performance due to NSFnet ease
use due to Mosiac, and b) personal information processing capability
improvment due to faster/cheaper PCs).

There is still a long way to go-

Even now, if you try to contact the members of the House listed as
participating in the congressional experiment with E-mail, you only get a
canned response and a promise that IF you are a constituent, the message
will be passed on. Attitude and organization needs adjusting!

Worse, there remains debate about the most efficient way to give the public
the information that they pay agencies to produce in the first place. Many
intermediaries (firms) massage bits and sell products for large profits -
some even have contractual monopolies (vis flap on SEC's EDGAR/NSF/West
Publishing). Politics and economics collide.

Any progress is progress however, so I applaud and push forward. Contituent
interest is the MOST powerful force, and once the gates are open, many
things will be possible. Just watch out for the moves that can close the
gates- via attempts to control, and worse, by accident when the bathwater
is let out!