Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: FCC Millimeter wave news part 1 of 3

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 1995 14:31:03 -0500

From: N3jmm () aol com
Posted-Date: Wed, 27 Dec 1995 13:55:36 -0500
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 1995 13:55:05 -0500
To: farber () linc cis upenn edu
Subject: FCC Millimeter wave news

On 12/15, just before the FCC shut down due to the current budget crisis, it
approved final rules for the  initial use use of three millimeter wave bands.
It involved a total of 6200 MHz of spectrum, roughly 15 times as much as is
used for all television broadcasting. While two of these bands are restricted
to vehicular radars and applications like collision warning systems and
"smart" automatic cruise controls, a third band - 59-64 GHz - has no use
restrictions and attracted much interest during the comment phase of this
rulemaking (Docket 94-124) for high speed radio LANs.  The 5 GHz bandwidth
would allow fiber optic comparable speeds although the location of this band
in the "oxygen absorbtion line" limits range to less than a few km.  The UK
Radiocommunication Agency (their "FCC") pointed out in a pioneering analysis
several years ago that this limit also has a "half full" aspect - it is much
easier to reuse these frequencies than it is to reuse lower ones in cellular
configurations.

The full text should be available on the FCC web page,www.fcc.gov, under the
 Office of Engineering and Technology, when the government is back in
business, but for you , Dave, here an ASCII version, but note the following:

In converting to ASCII in a rush before they locked the doors, the location
of the footnotes was lost but the text of the footnotes is still there at the
end.

The Greek "mu" symbol for microwatt may also have been lost.

The key technical parameters which use mu are:

Section 15.253(a) For car radars, when the car is in motion, the limit is 30
microwatts/sq.cm. at 3 m from exterior surface of radar

Section 15.255(b) 59-64 GHz power limit is 9 microwatts/sq.cm. at 3
meters

 I don't expect you to distribute the text, but if you could put it in an
easily acessible archive until we're back in business I'd appreciate it and I
think it would gives others interesting ideas.

Feel free to edit as you see fit if you want to redistribute.  Since I'm
stuck at home with only an AOL account, I can't offer to send the whole text
to any one who wants it.  Although if necessary I take requests and send them
when I'm back in the office.

Mike Marcus
normally: mmarcus () fcc gov
        name="mmW R&O 12/95 ASCII"

FCC95-499

Before the
FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION
Washington, D.C.  20554

In the Matter of

Amendment of Parts 2, 15, and 97 of the
Commission's Rules to Permit Use of Radio
Frequencies Above 40 GHz  for New Radio
Applications

ET Docket No. 94-124
RM-8308

FIRST REPORT AND ORDER
AND
SECOND NOTICE OF PROPOSED RULE MAKING

Adopted:  December 15, 1995;
Released:  December 15, 1995

Comments Due:  [60 days from date of publication in the Federal
Register]
Reply Comments Due:  [90 days from date of publication in the
Federal Register]

By the Commission:

TABLE OF CONTENTS

  Subject   Paragraph

INTRODUCTION1 - 3

BACKGROUND  4 - 7

DISCUSSION AND DECISIONS     8 - 59

 Vehicle Radar Systems 9 - 27
      46.7-46.9 GHz Band     9 - 11
      60-61 GHz Band   12 - 14
      76-77 GHz Band   15 - 17
      Sharing Between Vehicle Radars and Other Applications
18 - 20
      In-band Power Density Limits      21 - 26
      Antenna Side Lobe Attenuation     27

 General Unlicensed Bands    28 - 42
      59-64 GHZ Band   28 - 36
      In-band Power Density Limits      37 - 42

 Other Requirements    43 - 59
      Out-of-band Emission Limits       43 - 49
      Measurement Requirements          50 - 58
      Frequency Stability    59

SECOND NOTICE OF PROPOSED RULE MAKING   60 - 65
      Amateur Services 61 - 62
      Spectrum Etiquette     63- 64
      Emissions Above 200 GHz65

PROCEDURAL MATTERS     66 - 69

ORDERING CLAUSES       70 - 71

APPENDIX A:  FINAL REGULATORY FLEXIBILITY ANALYSIS FOR R&O

APPENDIX B:  INITIAL REGULATORY FLEXIBILITY ANALYSIS FOR 2ND NPRM

APPENDIX C:  RESPONDENTS

APPENDIX D:  RULES

APPENDIX E:  PROPOSED RULES

INTRODUCTION

 1.  By this action, we open for commercial development and use a portion of
the "millimeter wave" frequency bands above 40 GHz.  The amendments to our
rules set forth herein will encourage the development and use of new
technology in commercial products and services.  In this Report and Order,
the first of several that will be forthcoming in this proceeding, we are
making available a total of 6.2 GHz of spectrum in the 46.7-46.9, 59-64, and
76-77 GHz bands for unlicensed devices.  These new frequency bands and
associated standards will permit the development of vehicle radar systems
that could be used in  conjunction with Intelligent Transportation Systems
(ITS) and short-range, high capacity wireless radio systems that could be
used for educational and medical applications, wireless access to libraries
or other information databases.

 2.  It has been our experience that opening regions of the spectrum to
commercial applications and new technology fosters the development and
growth of new industries and promotes job creation.  We believe that opening
portions of the millimeter wave spectrum will similarly stimulate the
development of new services for consumers and facilitate technology transfer
from the military sector.  This action will also promote national
competitiveness by enabling development of technology for potential use in
other parts of the world.

 3.  We are also issuing a Second Notice of Proposed Rule Making that
addresses several issues relating to use of the 46.7-46.9 GHz, 59-64 GHz,
and 76-77 GHz bands.  First, we are proposing to restrict temporarily
amateur use of the 76-77 GHz band in order to ensure that vehicle radar
systems will not receive interference from amateur operations.  To balance
any perceived harm by amateur operators, we are proposing to upgrade the
status of amateur operators in the 77.5-78 GHz band to co-primary with the
radiolocation service.  We are also proposing limits for emissions in the
200-231 GHz band to protect radio astronomy operations from potential
interference.  In addition, we are proposing to initiate the development of
a spectrum etiquette technique that would minimize interference in the 59-64
GHz band.  We view this proceeding as an ongoing process to develop
appropriate policies that will ultimately provide new opportunities for
businesses, and promote the interests of consumers by making available new
communications products and services.   BACKGROUND

 4.  In the Notice of Proposed Rule Making (Notice) on radio operation above
40 GHz, we proposed to open a total of 18 GHz of spectrum between 40.5 GHz
and 153 GHz for commercial development.  We specifically proposed thirteen
frequency bands for potential use by new millimeter wave technology:
40.5-42.5 GHz, 47.2-48.2 GHz, 59-64 GHz, 71-72 GHz, 76-77 GHz, 84-85 GHz,
94.7-95.7 GHz, 103-104 GHz, 116-117 GHz, 122-123 GHz, 126-127 GHz, 139-140
GHz, and 152-153 GHz.  We proposed to divide these bands between licensed
services and unlicensed devices, with unlicensed spectrum further divided
between unlicensed vehicle radar systems and general unlicensed devices.

 5.  In proposing this division of spectrum, we recognized the potential
benefits in licensing exclusive access to millimeter wave spectrum for the
provision of certain kinds of  telecommunication services.  Based on the
demand for licensed services below 40 GHz, we proposed to designate all of
the 40.5-42.5 GHz band and virtually all of the 47.2-48.2 GHz band for
licensed use (except for a small portion that would be designated for
vehicular radar use, as indicated below).  We also proposed to make
available for use portions of the bands above 64 GHz that are not designated
for vehicular radar or general unlicensed use.

 6.  We also recognized that there is significant interest in developing
millimeter wave technology for vehicle radar systems.  We proposed to make
the 47.2-47.4 GHz, 76-77 GHz, 94.7-95.7 GHz, and 139-140 GHz bands available
for vehicle radar systems operating on an unlicensed basis.  We noted that
establishing spectrum for vehicle radar systems is seen as an important
initiative in the development of Intelligent Transportation Systems which is
intended to offer significant benefits to the American public by improving
highway safety.

 7.  Finally, we recognized that unlicensed use may be preferable for a
portion of millimeter wave spectrum in order to meet the demand for a
variety of low power communication devices.  To address this demand, we
proposed to make available 5 GHz of spectrum in the 59-64 GHz band, as well
as portions of the bands above 64 GHz, for general unlicensed devices.  We
noted that the extremely limited propagation range of the 59-64 GHz band, as
well as higher millimeter wave frequency bands, suggests that these bands
would be appropriate for general unlicensed devices.   DISCUSSION AND DECISIONS

 8.  In this First Report and Order, we are addressing the use of vehicle
radar systems operating below 80 GHz and general purpose, unlicensed devices
operating in the 59-64 GHz band.  Licensed millimeter wave operation,
vehicle radar operations above 80 GHz, and unlicensed operation in other
millimeter wave frequency bands will be addressed in future decisions.
Several commenters asked that we review spectrum below 40 GHz; however, such
requests are beyond the scope of this proceeding.    Vehicle Radar Systems

 9.  46.7-46.9 GHz Band.  In the Notice, we proposed to make available the
47.2-47.4 GHz band for vehicle radar systems.  This proposal was in part
motivated by a request by VORAD Safety Systems, Inc. (VORAD) that we
establish a 200 MHz band for vehicle radar systems somewhere within the
46-50 GHz band thereby permitting the rapid introduction of low cost
millimeter wave vehicle radar systems.  Such systems, according to VORAD,
would be adapted using existing 24.125 GHz technology with a frequency
doubler.  Many radar devices, including police radars, operate at 24.125
GHz.  The use of frequency doubling circuitry with the existing 24.125 GHz
technology could allow the relatively low cost and speedy development of
millimeter wave vehicle radar systems operating near 48 GHz.

(TIA) requests that we move the proposed frequency band for vehicle radar
from 47.2-47.4 GHz to any 200 MHz segment in the range of 45-47 GHz to
accommodate potential licensed operations.  Alcatel Network Systems (ANS),
the Association of American Railroads (AAR), Digital Microwave Corporation
(DMC), Harris, Hewlett-Packard (HP) and the Millimeter Wave Advisory Group
(mmWAG) generally support TIA's proposals.  VORAD and HP recommend that we
use the 46.7-46.9 GHz band for vehicle radar systems.  They indicate that
this proposal would provide the amount of spectrum VORAD requested for its
application and would also permit a small "cushion" of unlicensed spectrum
in between the bands to provide added protection against interference.

 11.  Based on the comments, we now believe that the frequency band
46.7-46.9 GHz proposed by VORAD and HP would be a better choice for vehicle
radar operations in this region of the spectrum than our original proposal.
The use of this frequency band for vehicle radar systems addresses the
concerns of TIA and others, and will provide additional flexibility in our
decisions regarding licensed operations.  Accordingly, we are making the
46.7-46.9 GHz band available for vehicle radar systems.

 12.  60-61 GHz Band.  In response to the Notice, the Association for the
Promotion of Millimeter-Wave Development and Utilization (APMDU), Fujitsu
Ltd., Fujitsu Ten Ltd., Honda, Mitsubishi, the Research and Development
Center for Radio Systems (RCR), and Toyota request that we authorize use of
the 60-61 GHz band for vehicle radar systems.  The APMDU indicates that the
60-61 GHz band is being considered by the Japanese Ministry of Posts and
Telecommunications for vehicle radars and adds that the severe propagation
losses in this band will reduce potential interference or crosstalk to other
radio systems even when there is a high concentration of users in an area.
Fujitsu Ltd. requests that the 60-61 GHz band be employed exclusively for
vehicle radar.  Fujitsu Ten Ltd. adds that this band would provide a balance
between the more costly components and materials necessary for higher
frequencies and the smaller aperture of the antenna.  The American Radio
Relay League (ARRL) supports the use of 60-61 GHz for vehicle radars and
indicates that the use of this band would avoid potential interference to
amateur operations in the 76-77 GHz band.  In addition, the AAMA indicates
that it would not oppose also permitting vehicle radars in the 60-61 GHz
band, provided the addition of this band would not cause us to eliminate any
of the vehicle radar bands proposed in the Notice.

 13.  AT&T, HP, and mmWAG oppose the proposal to set aside the 60-61 GHz
band for vehicle radar.  AT&T expresses concern about the potential for
interference from vehicle radar systems operating at 60-61 GHz to general
unlicensed devices operating in the 59-64 GHz band.  Moreover, AT&T argues
that the exclusive use of the 60-61 GHz band for vehicle radar would break
up the 5 GHz of spectrum proposed for use by general unlicensed devices into
two smaller bands that would be less useful.  HP concurs, pointing out that
vehicle radars would interfere with broadband communications devices unless
given an exclusive band of their own.  It further states that allowing
vehicle radar use in the 60-61 GHz band would destroy the only contiguous 5
GHz of bandwidth available, or ever likely to be available, for short range
broadband communications.  HP adds that spectrum sharing with radars is
impossible, and that if the Commission were to set aside the 60-61 GHz band
for vehicle radars, efforts to develop broadband communications systems in
the 59-64 GHz would probably be abandoned.  Both HP and mmWAG point out that
the oxygen absorption band is ideally suited to short-range communications
links, but confers no benefit to vehicle radar.  AAMA points out that, from
the perspective of the U.S. auto interests, the proposed 60-61 GHz band is
not a viable alternative to the AAMA requested bands, nor is it being
considered in Europe.

 14.  An important goal of this proceeding is to foster the development of
novel broadband communications systems.  We believe that the 59-64 GHz band
offers the greatest potential for allowing the development of short-range
wireless radio systems with communications capabilities approaching those
now achievable only with coaxial and optical fiber cable.  Breaking up this
band by providing an exclusive vehicle radar band at 60-61 GHz could
potentially interfere with the development of important new applications.
As discussed below, we believe that the sharing of vehicle radar spectrum
with other services is not feasible.  Accordingly, we will not authorize the
use of the 60-61 GHz band for vehicle radar systems.  We also note that, in
this action, we are already making available 1.2 GHz of spectrum for vehicle
radar systems, which we believe will satisfy the near-term spectrum
requirements for these systems.

 15.  76-77 GHz Band.  In the Notice, we also proposed to make the 76-77 GHz
band available for vehicle radar systems.  This band is allocated for
Government/non-Government radiolocation systems and, on a secondary basis,
to the Amateur Radio Service under Part 97 of our rules.  We also asked for
specific information regarding whether the entire 76-77 GHz band would be
needed for vehicle radar systems.

 16.  The AAMA, the Federal Highway Administration (FHA), Ford, GM, GM-North
American Operations, HP, the Intelligent Transportation Society of America
(ITS America), and mmWAG support the use of the entire 76-77 GHz band for
vehicle radar systems.  The AAMA notes that typical systems currently under
development require operating bandwidths of 200-500 MHz, with some requiring
as much as 1 gigahertz of spectrum.  The AAMA adds that more information can
be extracted from the return signal when a wider bandwidth is used.
Specifically, the AAMA notes that for a vehicle radar to be able to locate
the edge of a road to an accuracy of 1/10th of a lane width, a minimum
bandwidth of 416 MHz is required.  It further states that sufficient
additional spectrum must be available to account for short-term and
long-term frequency drift.  GM concurs with AAMA's position, adding that the
entire 76-77 GHz band is needed to reduce the probabilities of interference
between units and decrease the manufacturing costs.  GM also submits that
the 76-77 GHz band is desirable for product development because it offers an
excellent trade-off between antenna size and component costs.  GM further
notes the additional benefit of enhancing the possibility of exporting units
to the European market, since the 76-77 GHz band has already been chosen as
a vehicular radar band in Europe.  ARRL states that it has no objections to
the shared use of this band between amateurs and vehicle radar systems.
However, it expresses concern regarding potential problems with sharing and
indicates that it prefers that the 60-61 GHz band be used for vehicle radars.

 17.  As demonstrated by the comments, there is significant industry support
for use of the entire 76-77 GHz band for vehicle radar systems.  Indeed, the
three major U.S. automobile manufacturers have targeted this band in their
efforts to develop collision avoidance radars.  Furthermore, testing of
vehicle radar systems operating in the 76-77 GHz range has already
commenced.  We also foresee economic benefits, such as economies of scale
and broader marketplace demand, that may be attained if both the U.S. and
European markets use the 76-77 GHz band for vehicle radar systems.
Accordingly, we are making this band available for use by vehicle radar systems.

 18.  Sharing Between Vehicle Radars and Other Applications.  Due to the
safety nature of vehicle radar systems and the lack of experience of such
systems sharing with totally different technologies, we tentatively
concluded in the Notice that bands should be made available for exclusive
use by vehicle radar systems until spectrum sharing criteria were developed.
AAMA, Epsilon Lambda, Ford, HP, mmWAG, and VORAD support this proposal.
VORAD points out that vehicle radar systems will be used for collision
warning, automatic cruise control, automatic braking plus other longitudinal
and lateral vehicle control applications.  In such applications, VORAD
stresses the necessity of preventing false alarms that could result from
shared use of the spectrum.  VORAD adds that vehicle radar manufacturers can
develop interference avoidance systems to cope with other vehicle radar
systems on the road, but if the band is shared with unlimited emitters and
users, it will be much more difficult, and therefore more costly, to design
interference avoidance schemes for all possibilities.  HP indicates that it
would be impractical for vehicle radar systems to share spectrum with
licensed services.

 19.  ARRL objects to limiting the 76-77 GHz band to vehicle radar systems,
noting that it wishes to maintain the existing amateur allocations from
75.8-81 GHz in order to spur development of short-range, high-speed data
links.  ARRL also recommends that we revise the proposed Table of Frequency
Allocations in 47 CFR Section 2.106 to clearly indicate that only the 76-77
GHz portion of the amateur band would be used by vehicle radar systems.  In
the Notice, we proposed to permit Part 15 vehicle radar systems to operate
in the 76-77 GHz band.  However, the band of operation referenced in the
Table of Frequency Allocations covers 76-81 GHz.  Thus, ARRL is concerned
that there could be a misunderstanding that our original proposal to amend
47 CFR Section 2.106 would permit unlicensed devices to operate throughout
the 76-81 GHz band.  Ford, in its reply comments, opposes the continued use
of the 76-77 GHz band by amateur operators because of the public safety
benefits of vehicle radar systems and the statement in ARRL's comments that
"[p]rotection of vehicular radar systems by amateurs would be
impossible...."  GM generally supports the proposal to limit use of the
76-77 GHz band to vehicle radar systems, but states that such systems would
not be adversely affected if we permitted amateurs to continue using the
bands.  GM states that the anticipated amateur uses would result in power
densities on public roads that are well below the levels that would cause
any concern to the reliable operation of vehicle radars.

 20.  Because of safety considerations, we agree with commenters that
unlicensed use of the 76-77 GHz band should be limited for the time being to
vehicle radar systems.  In addition, as discussed below in the Second Notice
of Proposed Rule Making, we also propose to temporarily restrict amateur use
of the band until sharing criteria can be developed.  We anticipate that
vehicle radar systems may eventually be used for vehicle control, and this
heightens our safety concerns regarding possible interference to these
systems.  Because the development of vehicle radar systems is still ongoing,
it is difficult at this time to develop appropriate sharing criteria.  While
we are concerned about safety considerations, unlicensed bands are generally
allocated to uses which can co-exist without causing detrimental
interference.  In the future, we expect that there will be non-vehicle radar
systems which can successfully operate in these bands without causing
interference.  However, we wish to ensure that vehicle radar systems will
have sufficient spectrum and design flexibility to develop their systems
successfully, so that at this time we are restricting use of the band to
vehicle radar systems.  Even though there may be multiple vehicle radar
systems, we feel the number of systems and their method of operation will
permit them more easily to coordinate non- interfering sharing criteria than
if we were to allow any type of system into the band.  In the future, we
expect other types of systems to operate in this band and wish to encourage
the design of vehicle radar systems that will facilitate such sharing.
Finally, in order to avoid confusion, we are amending Section 2.106 of the
Rules, as requested by ARRL, to clarify that vehicle radar systems may only
operate in the 76-77 GHz band and not in the remainder of the 77-81 GHz
band.    21.  In-band Power Density Limits.  For vehicle radar systems, we
proposed in the Notice a power density of 30