Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Paris Kanellakis

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 1995 13:41:21 -0500

        PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) -- They met in the United States after
growing up worlds apart. Both found success at Brown University, he
as a computer science professor, she as a student therapist.
        Paris Kanellakis and his wife, Maria-Teresa Otoya, said goodbye
to friends and colleagues Tuesday and bundled up their two children
for the family's annual holiday trip to Otoya's homeland of
Colombia.
        Kanellakis, Otoya and their children Alexandra, 7, and
Stephanos, 4, were on American Airlines Flight 965 from Miami to
Cali, Colombia, when it crashed into the Andes Mountains. There
were 164 people on board.

 At Brown, friends and colleagues remembered a professor known
for being intense and intelligent, charming and sociable. Andries
van Dam, a computer science professor, said he expected Kanellakis
would have been the department's next chairman.
        ``He saw and worked toward the next major leap forward rather
than focusing on small incremental advances,'' van Dam said. ``He
combined Mediterranean passion about all aspects of life -- family,
friends, colleagues -- melded with great precision of thought and
language.
        ``He leaves a void in our midst that cannot be filled.''