Interesting People mailing list archives

news: Latest Ripoff -- NON-toll-free 800 numbers!!

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 1994 09:53:42 -0400

Date: Fri, 14 Oct 1994 11:37:44 -0400
To: moredohrs () FARNSWORTH MIT EDU, tcfgie () weber ucsd edu

The so called MCI "CALL-INFO" rip-off has gotten a lot of advertising play
lately. It looks like a toll-free information number, since 800-555-1212 is
still such a thing.

Be wary from now on of 800 numbers. Many are not toll-free, and they can
charge you whatever they feel like. There is no ceiling!! And apparently
they don't have to warn you of the charge when you dial.

-rjs