Interesting People mailing list archives

Bell Atlantic to Build Interactive Digital Network

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 19 May 1994 09:35:57 -0500

Date: Thu, 19 May 1994 07:45:30 +0000 (GMT)
From: Eric Rabe <bellatl () ba com>
Subject: Bell Atlantic to Build Interactive Digital Network

I thought the readers of this list would be interested in Bell Atlantic's
announcement (5/19/94) to build an interactive digital network.  The
following news release outlines the announcement.  Further information
can be obtained through gopher or ftp (ba.com).  Requests for documents
can also be sent to info () ba com.

ftp://ba.com/pub/BA_RFQ_Announcement
gopher://ba.com/BA_RFQ_Announcement
        /BA_Officer_Biographical_Sketches
        /BA_Will_Provide_Choice_of_Video_Programming
        /BA_to_Build_Interactive_Digital_Network
        /Cable_Video_Dialtone_Comparison
        /Flexible_Technology
        /Vendor_Background

Eric Rabe
Bell Atlantic                           |   Internet:   rabe () ba com

News Release ***************************************************************
*************************************************************  Bell Atlantic

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE           CONTACT: 703/974-1720(THURSDAY 5/19 ONLY)

MAY 19, 1994

*           Bell Atlantic to Build Interactive Digital Network;           *
*                Customers to Receive Video Entertainment                 *
*                        and Information Services                         *

        Washington, D.C. -- Bell Atlantic (NYSE: BEL) today launched a
program to begin building its full service network, the Bell Atlantic
Network (BAnet), in six major markets within 18 months and in 20
mid-Atlantic markets within five years.

        The company announced it has selected suppliers for the major
components of the system, and Bell Atlantic is taking other steps to
create this powerful, open and flexible network.  As a result, Bell
Atlantic customers will be the first in the nation to receive video
services provided by their local exchange carrier over its own network.

        "We will start by offering video programming, including
entertainment, news and other information services over the new system,"
said Jim Cullen, Bell Atlantic president.  "The system will be capable of
two-way service, and it will carry both traditional analog and digital
information as well as the new interactive services. We plan to make
interactive multimedia television (IMTV) available starting 1995.  While
we have conducted trials, this will be the first commercial IMTV
anywhere."

        Bell Atlantic alone among the regional Bell companies has the
authority to offer its customers video services, having won a court ruling
in August 1993 to provide video programming in its own service area.

        Stu Johnson, Bell Atlantic group president -- large business and
information services, said, "Bell Atlantic video programming will be
better than cable TV, with more choices, higher quality and packages of
programming tailor-made for individual customers.  Finally, consumers
will have a real choice for home video services without being held hostage
by a single cable TV provider, trekking to the video store or settling for
the limited broadcast fare."

Bell Atlantic today announced four major steps in launching BAnet:

* Bell Atlantic has selected AT&T Network Systems (NYSE:T) as prime
contractor for the project.  General Instrument (NYSE:GIC) and BroadBand
Technologies (NASDAQ:BBTK) will also help build BAnet.  This construction
program is part of Bell Atlantic's $11 billion capital program for the
next five years.

* The company also announced that BAnet will be deployed in six major Bell
Atlantic markets starting in 1995.  Those markets are northern New Jersey,
the Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Washington, D.C. metropolitan
areas, and Virginia Beach, Va.  Bell Atlantic plans to offer the service
in the rest of its 20 largest markets by 1998.

* Bell Atlantic will file soon the documents required under section 214 of
the FCC code to be permitted to build video dialtone networks of this
kind.

* Bell Atlantic is supporting a multi-industry coalition, the "Open
Set-top" Executive Interest Group, representing major technology and
service providers.  The group will work to create standards so customers
can use one set-top terminal to receive broad band services from a variety
of video information providers.  The industry group will be formed under
the Corporation for Open Systems International which will coordinate this
effort.

        Bell Atlantic's BAnet will have tremendous capacity with the
ability to carry hundreds of video channels.  Under FCC rules, BAnet is a
video dialtone network and open to all who wish to offer their services on
it.  The system will carry information and entertainment from Bell
Atlantic as well as services offered by others.

        "Our interactive digital system is flexible in three important
ways," Jim Cullen said.  "First, customers can choose the programmers,
providers and specific services they want; second, BAnet includes a
variety of technologies, and third, our 'just-in-time' deployment plan
means we can deploy BAnet where and when it makes good business sense for
us and our customers."

        Bell Atlantic will rely on a variety of technologies in its full
service network.  The company will use a switched digital hybrid
fiber-coaxial platform, a switched digital fiber-to-the-curb platform or
an ADSL (asymmetric digital subscriber line) approach which employs the
copper network already in place.  The companies who will help build the
network under this strategic deployment plan responded to a Bell Atlantic
request for quotation issued Dec. 8, 1993.

        AT&T Network Systems will be the systems integrator and prime
network contractor for the project.  In addition to assuring that all
aspects of the network -- from central office to home terminal -- work
together, AT&T will be the major network equipment supplier.

        Richard A. McGinn, president and chief operating officer of AT&T
Network Systems, said, "Our goal as prime network contractor is to help
Bell Atlantic rapidly offer consumers connections to BAnet, an open and
flexible network that will provide a whole new world of interactive
multimedia services."

        General Instrument will provide the next generation analog and
digital addressable set-top terminals capable of supporting interactive
multimedia.  GI will also provide end-to-end access control, encryption
and digital compression technologies.  In support of AT&T and as a
subcontractor, GI will provide video distribution equipment.

        BroadBand Technologies, a subcontractor, will provide network
elements to support switched digital fiber-to-the-curb architecture.

        "We are delighted that Bell Atlantic has once again selected our
system as an important element in their broadband deployment," said Salim
A.L. Bhatia. president and CEO of Broadband.  "Switched, digital video
over fiber-to-the-curb will enable Bell Atlantic to offer unique and
truly interactive services to its customers."

        "We will begin building our new network predominately using the
AT&T/GI approach," said Larry Babbio, Bell Atlantic executive vice
president and chief operating officer.  "However, we will build those BBT
systems that are already planned in New Jersey, and we expect other
deployments using BBT's switched digital fiber-to-the-curb systems as the
multimedia market develops."

        "Under our just-in-time deployment strategy, we will put the
essential elements of the full service network in place, and we will add
the final link from our network to the home -- cabling and electronics to
actually deliver service to an individual customer -- only when the
customer wants it," Babbio said.  "Furthermore, the flexibility of this
network allows us to offer IMTV services as soon as markets are ready for
them."

        Babbio said ultimately today's telephone services will be fully
integrated with the new system.  "Our customers will have the same
reliable, high quality, low cost basic telephone service they've always
had, but they also will have the opportunity to use advanced IMTV
services," Babbio added.

        The Bell Atlantic strategic deployment plan builds on earlier
company announcements of its intention to make broadband interactive
multimedia services available to up to 8.5 million homes in the company's
mid-Atlantic region by the end of the year 2000.

        Bell Atlantic is the established leader in developing video
services for telephone systems.  The company has unique experience as a
result of its technical trials, its wide deployment of fiber optic systems
and its deployment of advanced telephone switching and other systems.
The company is building a digital production center in the Washington area
at Reston, Va.

        Bell Atlantic Corporation, based in Philadelphia, is the parent of
companies that provide a full array of local exchange telecommunications
services in Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Virginia, West
Virginia and Washington, D.C.

        Bell Atlantic also is the parent of one of the nation's largest
cellular carriers and has an ownership position in cellular properties
internationally.  In addition, Bell Atlantic owns an interest in Telecom
Corporation of New Zealand and is the parent of companies that provide
financial services in the U.S. and business systems services for
customer-based information technology throughout the U.S. and
internationally.

                              #####

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:

                                        Eric Rabe 703/974-3036 or 215/963-6531
                                        <rabe () ba com>
                                        Shannon Fioravanti 703/974-5455
                                        Joan Rasmussen 703/974-8815
                                        <rasmusse () ba com>

NOTE TO EDITORS:  A video news release providing details on BAnet will be
available to television stations via Medialink on Thursday, May 19.  Two
feeds will be provided from 2 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. and 3 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Eastern Daylight Time.  The satellite coordinates are: Telstar 302,
C-Band, Transponder 8H (horizontal), Audio 6.2 and 6.8 megahertz.  For
additional information about the VNR, call 703-974-1720.