Interesting People mailing list archives

CD-ROM VIRUS ALERT!

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 19 May 1994 08:40:32 -0500

FROM: Dennis W. Webb
Subject: CD-ROM VIRUS ALERT!
*** Forwarding note from OS2USERS--CMSNAMES 05/18/94 18:05 ***
Date:         Wed, 18 May 1994 17:59:20 -0400
Sender:       OS/2 Users Discussion List <OS2USERS () VM1 MCGILL CA>
From:         "Enrique S. Ignarra" <S0496872%BARRYU.BITNET () VM1 MCGILL CA>
To:           Multiple recipients of list OS2USERS <OS2USERS () VM1 MCGILL CA>

CD-Rom manufacturer Chinon America, Inc. says computer vandals have ilegally
put its name on a virus-ridden file and released it on the INTERNET.

 Chinon warns NOT to download the file called CD-IT.ZIP, saying it will
corrupt the hard disk.

 In a statement from Torrance, CA., Chinon says "The program, allegedly a
shareware PC utility that will convert an ordinary CD-ROM drive into a
CD-Recordable (CD-R) device, which is technically impossible, instead destroys
the files on the PC hard drive.

 The program also immediately crashes the CPU, forces the user to reboot
and stays in memory.  The virus has proven thus far to be _undetectable_ by
traditional virus checkers."

 Chinon says that the CD-IT.ZIP file 'promises to enable read/write to your
CD-ROM drive', and lists the program as being authored by Joseph S. Shriner,
couriered by HDA, and copyrighted by Chinon Products.

 Saying that it has no division by that name, Chinon management speculates
that the vandals picked its company name to make it seem that the software
was being endorsed by a well known and reputable CD-ROM manufacturer.

Chinon is urging people with information that could lead to the arrest and
prosecution of those associated with the CD-IT program to call the company
at 310-533-0274.
----------------------------------

Just thought I'd pass it along as a warning and a heads-up.  You may
want to pass this info along.

________________________________________________________________________.
| Enrique S. Ignarra                                                     |
| Barry University                                                       |
| 11300 N.E. 2nd Avenue                                                  |
| P.O. Box 1293                                                          |
| Miami Shores, FL 33161                                                 |
| BITNET: S0496872@BARRYU           INTERNET: S0496872 () BUVAX BARRY EDU   |
|                            Signature v1.64                             |
| REALITY.SYS is either corrupt or missing!                            |
| Reboot Universe (Y/n)?                                               |