Interesting People mailing list archives

A Question for NPR (not public radio)

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 8 May 1994 09:23:23 -0400

Subject:      A Question for NPR
To:           Steve Buckley <SBUCKLEY () PANDORA SF CA US>
From:         (federal employee; name withheld by request)

Please remove my name from this when submitted to REGO-L.
Okay Steve, here's a question I suspect more than a few folks are
wondering.  I hope someone has an answer.  Reinventing Government
started with alot of hoopla (e.g., breaking ashtrays, bulldozers
full of paperwork, etc.).

Right now from my perspective (that of a lowly   GS employee, non-manager)
nothing has changed.  Requisitions still take months.  I have to place
orders with companies that do not carry items in stock.  I still need
multiple signatures for any software purchase along with a twelve point
justification and at least 3 cost comparisons.  The only change I've
observed in the last 12 months was that employees received no
cost-of-living adjustment and there is a freeze on promotions to the GS-14
level.  (By the way not all GS-14s are managers).

????? QUESTION: ?????
Where's the change?  What's going on?
Supposedly, most of NPR could be implemented through executive order.
Has it been?

To me it appears NPR is just one more way to bash federal employees.

.