Interesting People mailing list archives

Open letter to Al Weis & Company from Joseph W. Stroup

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 1994 16:53:15 +0200

Date: Fri, 3 Jun 1994 00:55:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Joseph W. Stroup" <nettech () crl com>

 Dear Al,

I know we are not exactly on the best of terms but, I wanted to keep in
touch. A few years back you wanted to see the regionals connected to ANS
and your empire running the show. Well, now you have the chance. If ANS
does not connect to the NAPS and gets out that sharp pencil... You could
sell connections to the regionals and see your dream come true. I notice
that Stevie at the NSF is going to pull the plug on funding regionals
this fall. Unless they decide to connect to the NAPS. Thats sort of one
sided and since Wolff maintains he is only a user/purchaser of
services...why does his rudder guide the ship ? I bet it the $$ amount
spent. So the NSF does not have to buy the network, just be the largest
customer on it & then exercise control. The same sort of control they
would if the owned the thing. Maybe its too late but, I would consider
setting up my own NAPS if I were you. Its certainly within your power and
ability to do so. Plus if the commercial market is there, you will have
filled another one of NSF's stated goals to spin off the net into a
non-govt funded sort of deal.

I had to write - its been a long time. I will be watching as thing
un-fold but, I am holding off on buying my 500 channel TV for now.

Regards,

Joseph Stroup