Interesting People mailing list archives

Learner drivers on the Information Highway

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 1994 07:22:41 -0400

From: Brian.Randell () newcastle ac uk
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 1994 10:14:55 +0100

The computer page in the April 1, 1994, issue of The Independent, a national
paper here in the UK, contains a lengthy article entitled "Drunk in Charge",
by Andrew Brown. The title refers to an item that the author had seen in
soc.risks about the April Fool's joke by John Dvorak in PC Magazine.

However within the article there is an explanation of the differences between
newsgroups and mailing lists that I found amusing, though not necessarily
accurate (he says hurriedly :-):

". . . It is the discussion groups for people who would normally shun
computers that I find most fascinating. The point here is that the Internet
acts not as a global village but as a virtual city: that is to say a place
where so many people abound that everyone is bound to find someone who shares
an interest with them, no matter how obscure.

Medieval numismatists, fly fishermen, fundamentalist Christians interested in
setting up communities without churches - all can find two or three hundred
others out there on the net and set up a mailing list. All in fact have done
so.

The principle is simple. Everyone on the list can send and receive messages
to everyone else on it by sending a message to a single address, a computer
known as a "Listserv" which will then distribute them to all other members.

These mailing lists are both more primitive and more sophisticated than the
discussions on Usenet - the collective name given to discussion groups on the
Internet - that grew out of them. They are more primitive because they are
harder to use: there are no dedicated programs for reading them as there are
for Usenet. They are harder to find, too. A big Usenet service will dump a
list of 3,000 or more discussions, sorted into topics or "news groups" onto
your hard disk.

All that sort of information is automatically maintained. Lists of mailing
lists. on the other hand, are much harder to find. There are some lists, but
none are complete. There is no central authority or mechanism responsible for
collating them. This means, however, that anyone who finds their way to a
mailing list wants to do so. Usenet newsgroups are so easy to reach that all
the wrong people have arrived already.

Most sensible people have long since given up most of the Usenet newsgroups
as a desert populated by shreiking Yahoos and egomaniacs. One friend, after a
couple of days trawling around, remarked that he never wanted to hear another
opinion from a computer science student in the Midwest about anything ever
again.

If the Usenet newsgroups are full of students; mailing lists are where the
faculty hangs out. This ensures that all the bores you meet are
well-informed. At best, it provides a high standard of interdisciplinary
discussion. . . ."

(Remember that, in the above, I was quoting somebody else's views! :-)

I send the above quote out to a combined mailing list/newsgroup I frequent
which is suffering a rush of new users - I thought you'd like the reply I
received from Henry Thibault:

I think we are seeing the beginnings of the Information Highway.  All they
need
is a computer and an AOL disk that comes free with a magazine.  No license
required.  They just drive their semi-tractor-trailor-trucks or coaster wagons

or bean harvesters on at an off ramp, in reverse, and roar around as they
please, trying first one pedal or switch or lever and then another.  Isn't
this
the way EVERYone learns to drive?  If we ask them to read a law or two, or
even
an owner's manual, they wave a stiff middle finger at the screen on its way to

the delete key.  When they get in the deep yogurt, we are supposed to come to
the rescue.

Cheers

Brian

Dept. of Computing Science, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE1 7RU, UK
EMAIL = Brian.Randell () newcastle ac uk   PHONE = +44 91 222 7923
FAX = +44 91 222 8232