Interesting People mailing list archives

New mailing list: Electronic Frontiers Japan

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 1994 21:18:24 -0400

To: farber () central cis upenn edu
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 94 09:32:39 +0900
From: Bruce Hahne <bruce () jise isl melco co jp>

Greetings to all those concerned about Japan's electronic frontier! You
are receiving this announcement because I have reason to believe that
you might be interested in the following new mailing list.  I'm very
sorry that I can't send this mail out individually with a personal note,
but I have about 50 names on my mailing list for this announcement.

If you redistribute this message, please include the Japanese version,
as you never know where your version of the announcement may end up.

Yours in networking,
Bruce Hahne
Current address: bruce () jise isl melco co jp
Permanent address: hahne () acm org

                        Background and guidelines
                              Mar. 28, 1994

Electronic communication has become an integral part of the lives of
people in all corners of the globe.  Japan, no exception, is slowly but
surely expanding into the electronic frontier, grappling with a myriad
of issues such as who will establish and maintain new communications
systems, who will control these systems, the level of government
regulation to apply, and the rights of individuals as we develop a
ubiquitous information infrastructure.

To date, the answers to many of these questions have been supplied, not
necessarily in the public's best interests, by government agencies and
large telecommunications corporations.  There has been both a lack of
dialogue among those concerned about connectivity issues in Japan as
well as a lack of information about available electronic communication
services, the political landscape, important public policy decisions,
and the law.

The Electronic Frontiers Japan mailing list has been formed to provide a
public forum for such dialogue.  The list's name intentionally
anticipates the possibility of forming an organization proper, allied in
spirit with similar organizations around the world including the
Electronic Frontier Foundation (U.S.), Electronic Frontiers Canada, and
Electronic Frontiers Australia.

1. POTENTIAL TOPICS

The list is unmoderated and any topics which subscribers feel are
relevant to the list are welcome.  We anticipate that topics may
include, but not be limited to:

- The role of government agencies (MITI, MPT, etc.) and communications
service providers (NTT, IIKK, AT&T Jens, IIJ, JCIX, NCC, and more) in
the formation of Japan's communications policy.

- Effective lobbying methods and sources of publicity for impacting
Japan's expansion into the electronic frontier.

- Freedom and privacy issues as seen in the context of electronic
communications, and how Japanese culture may differ from western culture
in its approach to these topics.

- Electronic Frontiers Japan, the organization:  is there general
support for such an entity, and if so how should it be structured,
funded, and directed?

- The cultural and social issues involved in linking to international
networks.  In particular, issues in linking to the Internet, which is
arguably strongly imprinted with western cultural values and within
which English has to date been the dominant language.

- On-line databases and other resources for research on Japan's networks.

- How individuals in Japan can connect to the Internet and other
networks (Fido systems, non-Fido BBSes, etc.), and information for
system administrators and BBS operators on how to get connected.

- Contact and pricing information for Internet service providers,
ranging from companies providing high-speed leased line services to
sites offering dial-in services for individuals.  However, blatant
advertising is discouraged.

- Subnetworks and links in Japan (WIDE, JUNET, BITNET, etc), as well as
technical standards (TCP/IP vs. OSI).

- Usenet news, gopher, ftp, telnet, WWW, and similar network-based
services in Japan.

- Reposts of public information from other sources, i.e. Usenet,
Niftyserve, etc.  Responsibility for adhering to copyright restrictions
rests with the poster.

2. LANGUAGE

Mail to the list may be in English, Japanese, or both.  We hope to see
participation from a wide variety of interest groups and from both
Japanese and non-Japanese.  If you are posting in English, please be
aware that your post will be read by non-native speakers of English.  If
you are posting in Japanese, please be aware that many sites outside of
Japan are not running Japanese terminal programs.  In other words, if
you post in Japanese we anticipate that not all subscribers will have
the technological means to read your message.

Software for displaying JIS-encoded text is available for a wide variety
of machines at numerous ftp sites.  Please try to refrain from posting
queries on this topic to the list; instead, please obtain a copy of the
sci.lang.japan FAQ from Usenet or request one from Bruce Hahne,
hahne () acm org.

3. LOGISTICAL AND OTHER INFORMATION

To subscribe, send the message
        subscribe Your Name
to  efj-request () twics com   To unsubscribe, send the message
        unsubscribe
to the same address.  To post to the list, send mail to efj () twics com.
For help with subscription problems, send mail to efj-admin () twics com.

The following commands can be handled automatically by efj-request () twics com:

    SIGNOFF             - to remove yourself from the list
    REVIEW              - to get a list of subscribers
    QUERY               - to get the status of your entry on the list
    SET NOMAIL          - to remain on the list but not receive mail
    SET MAIL            - to reverse the NOMAIL setting
    SET CONCEAL         - to conceal yourself from REVIEW listings
    SET NOCONCEAL       - to reverse the CONCEAL setting
    SET NOREPRO         - to prevent the list from sending you your own postings
    SET REPRO           - to reverse the NOREPRO setting
    LIST                - to get a list of mailing lists available on this host
    HELP                - to receive a help file

The Electronic Frontiers Japan list is not affiliated with, nor a house
organ of, the site which runs its mailing list software.  List members
do not necessarily represent their employers or institutions.

The following text is the JIS-encoded Japanese version of these guidelines.

$@!<!<!<!<!<!<!<!<!<!<!<!<!<!<!<!<!<!<!<!<!<!<!<!<!<!<!<!<!<!<!<!<!<!<!<!<(J
$@%(%l%/%H%m%K%C%/!&%U%m%s%F%#%"!<%:!&%8%c%Q%s!&%a!<%j%s%0%j%9%H(J
$@GX7J$H%,%$%I%i%$%s(J
$@#1#9#9#4G/#37n#2#8F|(J