Interesting People mailing list archives

update on cisco

From: David J Farber <farber () radiomail net>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1993 10:07:58 PDT

----- Forwarded Message

Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1993 09:54:37 -0700
From: Dave Katz <dkatz () cisco com>
Subject: Security
To: farber () central cis upenn edu

This rumor is patently false;  cisco routers do *not* have any sort of
trap door for maintenance--to have such a thing would be a horrific
liability.

The situation described in the original posting was really describing
a problem with packet filtering on TCP port number, which turned out to
be a misconfiguration.  The user has since retracted his message.

We would appreciate it if you could pass this information along.