Interesting People mailing list archives

Your position on eVote

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1993 11:16:01 -0400

Posted-Date: Fri, 29 Oct 93 08:55:34 -0400
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 93 08:55:34 -0400
From: shap () viper cis upenn edu (Jonathan Shapiro)
To: jgill () ep gov
Cc: farber () central cis upenn edu
Subject: Your position on eVote

Mr. Gill:

Recently I came across the following claim:

  Jock Gill, the White House's communications expert in charge of
  online services, declined to install eVote, software for voting in
  cyberspace.  Mr. Gill called eVote "dangerous to democracy".

For issues relating to the country as a whole, eVote may or may not
present a representative sample of the population.  The rapid
proliferation of private access to the internet suggests that it may
be; we won't know until we put an electronic voting mechanism in place
and find out by measuring the results.

For issues relating to technology, however, eVote would provide an
excellent mechanism for rapid feedback from the technical community to
the legislative and executive branches.  Both branches have made
serious technical mistakes that could have been easily averted if such
a straw vote mechanism were in place - the technical community is
conversant with issues that politicians have neither the time,
inclination, or incentives to pursue.

In light of this, I'm hoping you will clarify in what way a mechanism
such as eVote is "dangerous to democracy."

Jonathan S. Shapiro