Interesting People mailing list archives

Clipper discussions at Crypto '93

From: gnu () cygnus com <gnu () cygnus com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 93 13:16:05 -0700

Hi Paul and Douglas,

I'm John Gilmore.  I'm an IACR member and have attended three
Crypto's.  I spoke in each of those rump sessions about legal and
social issues around cryptography.

I'm a co-founder and director of the Electronic Frontier Foundation, a
nonprofit educational organization which examines social and civil
rights implications of new communications and computer technologies.
The Foundation has (partly as a result of my involvement) taken an
active role in trying to frame and decide the policy issues around
cryptography and society in the United States.

In particular, EFF is playing a seminal role in organizing opposition
to the `Clipper' proposal from the Clinton Administration.  Our
executive director, Jerry Berman, organized 50 organizations to join
as the `Digital Privacy and Security Working Group', including most
major computer manufacturers, ACLU, CPSR, various telephone and cable
companies including AT&T, and other interested organizations.  This
group has successfully lobbied for a slowdown in deployment of the
Clipper standard, and has had some success in opening up the `global
review of crypto policy' to public input and inspection.  We meet
regularly with the White House, Congress, and agencies as part of
the review process.

I have convinced EFF to have a presence at Crypto '93, and Danny
Weitzner, Senior Staff Counsel, plans to attend.  I faxed him the
conference registration materials yesterday.  John Perry Barlow,
co-founder and Executive Chairman of EFF, and author of our pamphlet
"Decrypting the Puzzle Palace", may also attend if his schedule
permits.  I am already registered and will definitely be there.
Another Board member, Dave Farber, may be interested in coming.

Whit Diffie says that there is a slot in the formal presentations for
someone from the US Government to talk about Clipper.  Is it possible to
also provide a time for a formal presentation against Clipper, and possibly
some discussion time among the IACR membership about the issues involved?
The IACR board has approved a statement that

      ``While the Association has not had time to fully understand and
        evaluate this proposal, the Board notes that this approach
        raises many issues of public concern.  Furthermore, the Board
        recommends that sufficient time be allocated for this proposal
        to receive careful attention and broadbased open review.''

While the Board's recommendation was likely directed to the U.S.
Government, I'm sure that they would also approve of allocating
sufficient time in IACR's own conferences to fully explore the
technical, social, and political issues involved.

If there's anything that I can do to enable full discussion of Clipper
at Crypto '93, please let me know.  For example, I could guarantee the
payment of dorm rooms and meals for John Barlow and Dave Farber, if
IACR must commit to the space before they know if they can come.  Or,
if the University wants more money for us to use University space
outside the existing program hours, I can provide funds for that.  We
can provide technical reviews of the Clipper, and position papers from
the Government and from the opposition, to appear in the
pre-proceedings.  Etc -- just ask.

EFF would also like to, formally or informally, solicit IACR members
attending Crypto '93 to become EFF members also.  I'm not sure what
the ethics and customs of the situation permit, but it's something
I'd like to explore.

It may also be useful for EFF and IACR to begin to explore formal
affiliation and/or co-sponsorship of conferences or events.

Thank you for your interest.

        John Gilmore
for the Electronic Frontier Foundation