Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Credit Cards on the Internet

From: Blake Sobiloff <sobiloff () lap umd edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1993 13:47:26 -0500

(I hope this doesn't sound too much like an advertisement...) Reiter's
Scientific & Professional Books, a great bookstore in Washington, D.C., is now
on the Internet and is accepting credit card orders over the Internet for book
orders. Orders and inquiries can be sent to "books () reiters com" while comments
can be sent to "rbaker () reiters com".

I enquired about exactly how they wanted me to give them my credit card
number, and they replied that they actually prefer to set up an account over
the phone with the pertinent information, and then give you an account number.
You then transmit the account number to them via email to place an order. They
did not, however, reject the possibility of conducting business via email
without voice verification.

My suggestion to look into public key encryption went unanswered...

Blake Sobiloff, Laboratory for Automation Psychology, Department of Psychology
University of Maryland, College Park, MD  20742-4411  <sobiloff () lap umd edu>