Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: When did the DECWRL machine get pulled off the net?

From: Paul A Vixie <paul () vix com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 93 12:13:41 PDT

it happened about two months ago, while i was still brian reid's employee.

note that DECWRL is still there, it's the corporate internet gateway.  what
got taken off the net was an AXP-OSF/1 guest machine.  the state department
said it was legally a supercomputer and since dec could not guarantee that
folks on the SD's DNP ("denied parties list") (Iraq, for example) would be
prevented from using it, they insisted that the machine be shut down.  we
got the notification from the lord-high-weenie of dec's legal department,
and since they more-or-less outranked us we had to pull the machine off the
net.

i don't work for dec any more so i'm free to discuss this.  brian reid, my
old boss, is not free to discuss this.  the whole thing makes me really really
angry.