Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: interestiung people

From: Carey Heckman <ceh () leland Stanford EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1993 08:18:59 -0800 (PST)

David Farber wrote:

Is a restricted list I send to key people in industry, academia and
government and people I know. Tell me a bit about yourself

No problem.

I currently teach technology law at Stanford Law School, and I am co-director
of the Stanford Law and Technology Policy Center.  I was recently
selected to be the general chair for the 1995 Computers, Freedom and
Privacy conference (and it was Jim Warren who urged me to subscribe to
your list).

I was born in Washington, D.C., worked on the Hill when I was in high
school in the suburbs, and got my Novice ham radio license at 13 (I
am currently an Advanced..KE6FF). I began programming in 1970, graduated
from Dartmouth College in 1976, worked as a programmer at the then-National
Bureau of Standards, and got my J.D. in 1979 from Northwestern.  My
law review note was "The Interdepenence Between Data Communications and
Computing: An Alternative Approach to the Second Computer Inquiry."  After
a clerkship with Judge Edward Allen Tamm of the U.S. Court of Appeals
for the D.C. Circuit, I began practice with Morrison & Foerster in San
Francisco.  Three years later I moved to Ware & Freidenrich in Palo
Alto, where my representation included Adobe Systems, T/Maker Company,
Convergent Technologies, and Excelan.  In 1987 I became a partner.  In
early 1989 I left the firm to become general counsel of Excelan.  Novell
acquired Excelan later that year, and I became Vice President and Senior
Corporate Counsel of Novell, reporting directly to Ray Noorda.  In late
1988 I did a one-year stint as Novell's product marketing director for
messaging products.  In late 1992 I left Novell for Stanford Law School.

Hope this helps.

--
Carey

ceh () leland stanford edu