Interesting People mailing list archives

##2 Advice Offered

From: James E. Rogers <James.E.Rogers () um cc umich edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 93 22:00:01 PDT

  I posted a small response that dealt with mentors giving students
advice.  Obviously Jon Gilligan did not understand what I was saying
because he accused me of spreading the myth.  I will try to clarify my
statement.  I was advised that at the present time getting funding in my
field (molecular biology) is difficult and unless you are working in
certain areas, you will not be funded (sounds familiar). I did not say
that I found this to be true.  After a 1 year search for a postdoc/job,
I never got one offer from industry.  Neither were there that many jobs,
it seemed, to begin with.  This professor who said go to industry was
suggesting an alternative that most students in our department are not
aware of.  It is tough out there in any area, but it appears from the
students that have gone to industry from my department that they like it
very much and would choose it again.  So I did not spread the myth, nor
did this professor.  He and I were only suggesting an alternative to the
typical postdoc that should be explored.

==========

From: schulze () asgard lpl Arizona EDU (Dean Schulze)

  I previously posted information about the Numerical C Extensions Group
and the Numeric Interest group.  The e-mail address that I gave for
NCEG, nceg () cray com, is the address to broadcast a message to the entire
group.  There is a different address to have your name added or deleted
from the NCEG:  nceg-request () cray com
  Please use this to add or delete yourself from the mailing list, and
for all purposes except to broadcast a message to the entire mailing
list.
  I also gave an address for the Numeric Interest group.  Those who sign
up for Numeric Interest will receive all mailings to that group as well
as to NCEG.  So if you sign up to Numeric Interest and NCEG you will
receive a duplicate of every NCEG mail message.  Sign up to NCEG if you
only want to receive NCEG mailings.  Sign up with Numeric Interest if
you want to receive messages to that group as well as NCEG.  (I don't
know of a way to receive the Numeric Interest messages without receiving
NCEG messages.)
  I apologize for the error.

==========

From: scheid () copland Jpl Nasa Gov (Bob Scheid)

  Dave Coffin [YSN #1314] wrote: "I am interested in hearing peoples'
experiences in seeking and obtaining non-traditional employment."
  You might also consider getting more training for that
"non-traditional employment" to complement your scientific background. I
have a Ph.D. in applied math with about 10 years working experience.  I
am in the process of getting a law degree.  It's a lot of work and will
not fit everyone's temperament, but it is an option.  I know a couple of
people who recently got Ph.D.'s in chemistry and who are going
*directly* to law school at least partly out of frustration with options
for engineers and scientists now.
  I'm not sure exactly what I will do when I finish, but my friends in
chemistry are already committed to pursuing careers in patent law, which
is very hot right now -- particularly biotech.  There are other areas of
the law with technological intersections (e.g., environmental law,
aviation law).
  Another thing about law school -- you meet lots of people who have had
careers and are looking for a way to do something new.

From: fred () math bu edu (Fred Blundell)

  Thanks to Stephen Moorman for sharing his criteria for successful
research. The scientific community would be healthier and more
productive if his attitude was more widespread.  We forget that
scientific research can be justified by its capacity to entertain and
enlighten both the participants and the spectators. The competitive
ideal and the cold-war research ethos have been too pervasive. Maybe our
generation can begin to humanize our profession.