Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: DNS CACHE POISONING? - Our Portal is redirecting to our first competition

From: "Stephen John Smoogen" <smooge () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 14:00:18 -0700

On Jan 22, 2008 1:19 PM, Alfonso Valdes Carrales <ponchovaldes () gmail com> wrote:

2008/1/22, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge () gmail com>:
On 22 Jan 2008 00:55:30 -0000,  <ponchovaldes () gmail com> wrote:
Hello guys, we have a social network that is getting stronger, but we
are having an issue.

And the issue is that Sometimes... our page redirects to another Portal,
actually the page that redirects is our first competition,here in Latino
America, i know that they are causing that kind of mess.. so we thought in
this.

- We know that our DNS server is ok, and havent been compromised,

- DNS cache poisoning

- Malware ?

- some kind of virus that the guys(bad) made. ( the other portal -
social network-)

You have provided too little information for anyone to really help.
1) What is your website's architecture?
A) What kind of OS on the servers
B) What kind of software on the servers
C) Is it hosted on dedicated hardware or on a third party software
D) Do you use some sort of 3rd party software to get to your page (eg
you rely on a company to send customers to your page.)

One box virtualized with XEN that has centos, the website virtualized
(apache), db(mysql) and the mailserver have DEBIAN also virtualized .
(dedicated hardware that each sservice is separated in one virtual server
but consolidated)

 The DNS server is out side, another dedicated server using BIND9 - not
using any kind of third party software

2) What do you mean by redirect. In small steps explain how a user
normally gets to and sees your site and what happens when it doesnt
work

 User wants to access:  www.unibicate.com    AND sometimes... maybe the 10%
of the times  if you type www.unibicate.com and hit ENTER, it redirects or
goes to the page of sonico.com   (this is another social network). Of
course sonico.com  is causing this mess.
 If the page works fine, it just displays the page of unibicate and just log
in.. as a normal Social network.

One thing I have learned is that in 99% of the cases the other company
is not the cause.. or "Do not blame to malice of your competitor when
there are 4 billion teenagers who think doing this sort of prank is
fun, interesting, cool, etc."

I can't get it to happen at this time from my area.. so I really don't
know what is going on.