Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Source port 445,80

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 17:36:18 -0400

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 18:47:42 +0800, Wong Yu Liang said:

  Lately I've been getting a lot of awkward alerts with source port 445.
A few different source IP is connecting to one single IP
from the source port 445 , to random destination high ports.

Is the destination IP address one that could conceivably be calling
the *source* IPs on those ports, and you're looking at the *return* traffic?

If so, it could be that the destination IP is being tricked into visiting
malicious websites and the like, and what you're seeing is the website sending
more malware down the now-open connection....

(Just asking, because for a *long* time, we had to keep a canned response
form for "ntp-1.vt.edu is hacking my ports from its port 123" complaints.
Of course, the *real* story was they enabled NTP, sent us a packet - and then
their firewall software triggered on the reply).