Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: RES: Massive SPAM Increase

From: "Jamie Riden" <jamesr () europe com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 08:29:11 +1300

On 11/10/06, Paul Dean <paul () thecave ws> wrote:
Hya All,

Anyone bother to think about using the wonderful rbl lists provided by
lots of fast healthy servers around the world.

IE spamcop.net, abuseat.org, spamhaus.org <snip>

Definitely. I was using sbl+xbl at a largish University and it was
throwing away something like 50% of our inbound mail with no false
positives. But it's good to deploy it as tagging/warning before you
actually go to rejecting mail. Apart from that, rejecting hosts which
tried to HELO as us worked well. (Internal hosts didn't deliver to the
MXs, so we knew anything claiming to be us was bogus.)  We couldn't
use the rDNS checks as too many local organisations don't have valid
records and we were rejecting lots of mail that people wanted.

But I think this stuff is all covered in the FAQs of your favourite
MTA and it's not quite what the OP was asking about.

cheers,
Jamie
--
Jamie Riden, CISSP / jamesr () europe com / jamie.riden () gmail com
NZ Honeynet project - http://www.nz-honeynet.org/