Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Win2k Machine contacting Root Server???

From: Alex <incidents () alex gotdns org>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 09:49:46 -0600 (CST)

Yes, I thought about this, but does it makes sense that it is contacting *the* DNS root servers??? I thought this was odd.

Thanks,

-Alex

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006, Adrian Marsden wrote:

I believe you will find there is a setting that tells a Win2k server to try TCP if UDP fails for DNS resolution. Maybe
the UDP was failing and the box was doing as it was told.