Security Incidents mailing list archives

Win2k Machine contacting Root Server???

From: Alex <incidents () alex gotdns org>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 00:53:07 -0600 (CST)

Hi,

I recently ran "netstat" on my personal laptop (running Win2k) and was shocked to see that it had been making TCP connections to the root servers (to their domain port). I know that some DNS queries are performed using TCP, but I find it somewhat disturbing that the root servers were involved.

I did a little googling and found a few remarks that Win2k machines sometimes do this... But mine has the lastest updates....

So I'm a little concerned. Is this normal operation for a win2k machine, or could something more amiss be going on? Norton Antivirus and SpyBot Search & Destory didn't find anything wrong.

Thanks

-Alex

(I realize this is probably a normal thing, but I still find it disturbing)