Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Bizarre traffic

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 16:20:24 -0800

  There is progress.  The suspect traffic turns out to be *from*
port 443, not to it as I had erroneously believed my sniffer to
be indicating.
  I've also now captured the bogie responding to ARP requests
for the servers in question -- this looks close enough to how
Ettercap behaves that I'm now treating it as that.

  The disruption is occurring because, have ARP-poisoned traffic
into coming to its port, the bogie is forwarding it via a local
broadcast.  Except this is on a large VLAN, and that broadcast
traffic is flooding the whole network....

  NOW, all I have to do is catch the %$@$ machine.  I had black-
holed the MAC address at the switch where the traffic first
appeared, but today it was back from somewhere else.

David Gillett