Security Incidents mailing list archives

Bizarre traffic

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 09:57:18 -0800

  Does anybody know of anything (malware, hackware, other?) that
would cause a machine to put out traffic with the first octet of
the destination address (re)set to ZERO?

  The traffic I saw all was headed for port 443, and wasn't
decipherable.  The variation in packet size looked like a real
conversation, although return packets (if any) weren't passing
my sniffer.  The destination addresses, sans the bogus first octet,
looked like addresses of a couple of real internal servers (source
address was internal) -- which, however, do not have HTTPS service
active.

  [This traffic correlated with various intermittent disruptions of
our network, which stopped when the source machine dropped off the
network.  It later reappeared -- and so did a brief disruption --
long enough for me to pinpoint and ban it.]

David Gillett