Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: RE: Worm attack on our network this morning -- anyone else see this?

From: "Jamie Riden" <jamesr () europe com>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 10:21:40 +1300

On 14/12/06, David Gillett <gillettdavid () fhda edu> wrote:
  What I've got so far is that the 7654 IRC connection is
typical of the "SDBot" family of malware.

  The number of infections has stabilized -- only one new
infected machine in the last three hours.  That strongly
suggests that machines with up to date patches and/or
antivirus and/or non-blank passwords are probably immune,
which argues against the 0day hypothesis.

Sounds like a typical bot infection - you won't really know exactly
which until you can get a sample and analyze it. There are so many new
variants of bots coming out, a lot of AV won't recognise new ones, or
may simply report detection of a generic exploit. (I like
virustotal.com for checking up on suspect binaries.)

I saw quite a few of these incidents when I worked at a uni - the
initial infection was carried inside the  perimeter on someone's
laptop and then spread to unpatched internal machines. I found the
bleeding snort sigs for IRC traffic pretty helpful, as well as the
portscan detection stuff.

cheers,
Jamie
--
Jamie Riden, CISSP / jamesr () europe com / jamie.riden () gmail com
NZ Honeynet project - http://www.nz-honeynet.org/