Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Bogon IPs traffic only seen by netflow, confined within a VLAN only

From: Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () cisco com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:37:54 -0700

On Apr 9, 2006, at 9:29 PM, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

The usual cause for this is a busticated NIC - in years gone by, similar things were caused by "jabbering" transceivers that would start transmitting their packet sooner than the spec allowed, resulting in the first few bytes
being dropped, or noise bytes being added...

There's an outside chance that there's a packet-crafting program with an off-by-one error, but I've seen this caused more often by broken hardware.

Good point - this is where an analysis of the traffic would be helpful, to see if there appear to be 'conversations' taking place or if it's just random garbage (I suspect the latter as you indicate, but that's purely speculative without data).

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () cisco com> // 408.527.6376 voice

     Everything has been said.  But nobody listens.

                   -- Roger Shattuck