Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: They got me!!!

From: "Colin Copley" <colin.75 () btinternet com>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 20:14:53 +0100

Hi

Trying to run analysis tools on an infected machine can be incredibly
troublesome depending on the trojan.  Some examples of MSN/Peer to peer
trojans/viri(uses) I've seen will go to some lengths to prevent new software
being installed; closing down windows with security related text in the
title bar, altering the hosts file to stop access to anti-virus websites,
restricting user permissions etc.

A quick recon that's helped me decide whether or not it's worth the hassle
in the past is to boot the machine (disconnected from LAN) into safe mode
and try to run regedit, check the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows(or
WinNT)\Current Version\Run (also Run Once, + Run As Service) and see what
the executable being loaded at startup is, (remember there are also the
autoexec.bat/win.ini/system.ini files.

Google the exe name, it can make for some interesting reading.  This will
help you decide whether it's worth the risk of connecting the box to the LAN
and running analysis tools from another box, or installing them on the
infected machine itself.

My previous experience trying to clean an infected box from the top down so
to speak is it's not worth it, flatten & rebuild is the only way to be
absolutely sure.

If the trojan has a keylogger and/or is reporting back to base, you may be
able to follow the data back to the "my guess: irc server" and have a word
with the culprit himself. (Not a woman surely!)

Once a customer's teenage son was actually given the CD by a schoolfriend,
and installed it thinking it was 'Runequest' if I remember.  Best of Luck

Kind Regards
Colin