Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Re: They got me!!!

From: pentesticle () yahoo com
Date: 6 Apr 2006 14:21:29 -0000

Yes, I want to learn something from this so want to find out what/how the access was obtained. I feel I have the
computers as secure as Microsoft allows (WinXP Pro). I check for patches regularly (weekly). I have most built-in
accounts disabled. The accounts all run at a regular user priviledge. This particular machine does act as a print
server for my network, but I have anonymous access restricted and only allow authenticated connections. I restrict
remote admin access, but not sure if it can be bypassed somehow. The kids do play the internet games and surf the funny
video sites and I do have a teen that check web mail, but none of them are "supposed" to have access to install (ie
regular user account). I have software firewalls (Symantec) running on the machine behind a Linksys router/firewall as
my gateway. So far I haven't any spyware on the box, only attempts, when I run my nightly scans and review the logs
files.

Since I didn't have my sniffer running at the time I really want to see if I can find out what happened and how it
happened. I'm somewhat concern if my border device may possibly be compromised as well. Unfortunately Linksys is pretty
limited on the abilities to manage the device. None of my other PC's on the network seem to show any indication of
compromise, but again this one in particular is slightly less secure for the sharing of the printer.

Any additional information is much appreciated.

Thanks...

Hopefully I'll be able to put the pieces together.