Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Odd typing in MSWord

From: Deborah McMahon <d.mcmahon () telesciences com>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 13:49:34 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Federated Information Security wrote:

I ran across something rather odd today I'm hoping someone might have
thoughts on.  One of my users had their XP SP1 laptop on the corporate
network and was editing a Word document with office 2002.  They pasted
something in a table, and it looked like someone started typing in their
document.  It was slow, typical typing speed, and lasted for about 10
minutes (I actually got a chance to see it).  The text was nonsense
words, like the kind you often see in spam nowadays.

    any chance the user has an installed program that does speech to
    text or speech recognition? if so, they may have triggered it
    somehow and the computer was trying to type what it believed it
    was hearing .....

deborah
---
Deborah McMahon <mailto:d.mcmahon () telesciences com>
Information Services
Telesciences, Inc. <http://www.telesciences.com>
2000 Midlantic Drive, Suite 410, Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054
Tel: +1.856.866.1000 ext. 4143
Fax: +1.856.866.0185
---