Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Odd typing in MSWord

From: Felix.Simmons () edwardjones com
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 13:22:37 -0600

There could be a few possible reasons for your ghost typing. One, did
you check the document for macros? Two have you looked into any rootkit
checking tools? Three, Did you hang a sniffer off a machine that could
sniff the traffic of the workstation in question without actually having
to put the sniffer on the workstation.

When you do any analysis from the workstation you have to take anything
you see with a grain of salt, as in the example of rootkits an attacker
could hide processes, connections, files, basically anything they don't
want you to see. I would say hang a sniffer off the machine and watch
it, or when in doubt rebuild.

-Felix