Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: IE Malware / Spyware Control Methods

From: matt <matt () scrapshells com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 16:03:21 -0500 (EST)

The solution you choose depends entirely on how much you trust your
clients to learn and follow good security practices.  The fact that you
are having to deal with a large amount of spyware, to me reduces that
trust.

Ad-aware, SpybotSD, Firefox are all reactive solutions.  While I would
agree that they are good and do use them myself, I have installed all of
them on many client computers to return to the client site weeks or months
later and find that they have never been run, never been updated, or
effectively crippled by user actions.  Can you trust your clients to
periodically run Ad-Aware and use firefox for their browser?  Remember
that Internet Explorer will beg to become the default browser at every
chance it gets bypassing all of your time installing firefox.  Many
endusers believe that just because a product is installed they are
protected and freely continue the same poor security habits.

All that not to mention the fact that replacing IE as a browser will not
help you at all if the spyware/malware becomes installed as a part of
third party software.  How many of your users have installed Kazaa,
weatherbug, every "helpful" search bar and internet enhancer under the
sun.

Give the users less privaleged accounts, enforce policies on installing
software, and use automated periodic Ad-Aware scans.

Ad-Aware Professional has documented command line switches to automate
updates, scanning, and can even hide the entire process from the user.
Put it in a script and have it send you the results.

                                -Matt-