Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: New MSN worm?

From: Inamabilis <inamabilis () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 15:47:36 +0000

I know someone who was sent these same files - unfortunately she
accepted and opened. Going on what she said the worm showed an image,
then attempted to send it's self to all of her msn contacts. Luckily
she shutdown msn quite fast and it doesn't appear to have tried again.
The worm then made a number of files on her C: drive, swapped her
mouse buttons and attempted to disable ctrl alt del.
she was unable to delete the files the worm created until she managed
to open task manager and close one of the running processes.

Some quick googling suggests that the worm is a variant of 'Bropia'
and symantec have dubbed it "W32.Bropia.M".

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.bropia.m.html

Regards

George