Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Discovering and Stopping Phishing/Scam Attacks

From: "Thomas Adams" <tgadams () bellsouth net>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 22:50:08 -0500

The problem comes in making changes to production servers during production.
Most people don't want to take the chance of doing that. Not too mention
high targeted companies receive hundreds of attacks a day. There is your
headache waiting to happen.
Just go with what is already set up. Referrer logs are easy to turn on(may
be default on most webservers now). Very easy to watch them and you are
definitely in a proactive stance by doing so.
The phishers change just as fast as you can change your server. For
instance, we just setup a new layout for our webserver. A few hours later,
we noticed new updated phishing kits to reflect our changes.

Thomas Adams, CISSP