Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Wireless router behaviour

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 13:53:01 -0700

  The port which was connected to the wired network was one of the
LAN switch ports, and not the WAN port.  So although we saw pings
and proxy ARP replies from the router, it seems unlikely that these
were NATted on behalf of some associated client.  The client whose
footprints led us to the router was, as you'd expect in such a
configuration, using an address from our DHCP pool and neither the
router's nor some other private address.

  The folks who have legitimate physical access originally disclaimed
knowledge, and pointed to recent thefts as evidence that unauthorized
physical access might be involved.  They seem to have since decided
that it was theirs after all, but network statistics suggest that the
keep-alive pings began about 3am, which suggests to us that they're
less the innocent victims than their trying to claim.

Dave Gillett